Sunday, July 7, 2013

Intern oh Intern

I had the privilege of hosting my first intern this past spring
Mr. C in action

Since my first year of teaching I have been waiting until I could have my very own intern.  When I was in school interning was full of interesting experiences...both good and bad.  So, when the opportunity to have an intern came I volunteered! I really had no idea what to expect, I just knew I was going to go with the flow...because that's just what I do! To be honest on the day my intern was supposed to come in I some how forgot. Nonetheless Mr. C came in to set up a schedule and to get a feel for what would be expected of him. He was only coming one day a week for ten weeks so no full-time intern for me...I kind of get the feeling my school is anti full time intern...hopefully that changes!

The first two times Mr. C came in he observed and then he was ready to dive right into teaching. I gave him a couple of topics he could cover with either the 8th graders or 6th graders. He did a wonderful job modeling my method of teaching and applied it during his lessons. Mr. C incorporated smart board technology and used the student's interactive notebooks while he taught.

He taught lessons on:
editing essays
figurative language
tall tales

The students responded well with him and accomplished the objectives he laid out for them in the lesson. I enjoyed watching someone else teach my students and it was nice to sit back and take in how each one of them masterted the content Mr. C was teaching them. While he was teaching I sat in a desk in the back and quietly participated in his lesson.

After his lessons we would discuss what went well and what he could improve upon. He was very open to new ideas and to be honest I learned a couple of tricks from him as well. 

I hope that I will be able to hoast another intern this upcoming school year. I am not at all bothered with having someone in my classroom since I have a para a majority of the time in my room and its a way to keep me on my toes!

//Side note\\
In Florida or parts of Florida a teacher has to have three years of teaching experience and take a clinical education class in order to qualify for an intern.
 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! Your sweet comments are appreciated greatly!